Book Review: Enslave by Cathy Yardley


This read was a huge step outside of my usual reading habits. I don’t really read romance novels, so I’m not really up to speed with all the sub-genres and naming conventions, but I think this one falls into the erotica category.

If there are books of this genre that have plots that are actually worthwhile please let me know. Every time I’ve tried, I just get frustrated at how the story is just a very loose vessel to pad out the page count between sex scenes. The plot is flimsy, there’s no character development because the characters are all just caricatures and the sex scenes themselves are just ridiculous.

I don’t feel like it’s very fair of me to speak negatively of this book. It’s a very popular genre that a lot of people enjoy, it’s just not for me.

So much of the actual content was sex scenes, which I don’t enjoy reading anyway, but almost all of these involved coercion of some kind, and that made me quite uncomfortable. I’m not averse to being uncomfortable when reading if it’s for a reason, but the only reason this time was for titillation.

The plot was basic and the characters motivations were simplistic and not always consistent. I don’t know if all erotica books are like this, but I won’t be rushing to try again anytime soon.

1 out of 5

Enslave meets criteria ten for the 2018 Read Harder Challenge.

Have you read Enslave? Did you enjoy it? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 Read Harder Challenge

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle