Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link



I’m in two minds about short stories. On the one hand they are short, self-contained, bite-sized chunks of entertainment.  On the other hand I feel like they need to have a point to them, a reason for their existence, and if they don’t I feel like I’ve wasted my time reading it.

I’m not sure how to classify these stories. I wouldn’t call them sci-fi or fantasy, but they are definitely not realist either.  The writing has a surreal quality to it. Like Dali’s melting clock or the warped mirrors in a funhouse. I liked it. It gave a different and unique flavour to these stories.

I would very much like to read a full length novel by this author. I want to see if that surrealism can be maintained for the whole length or if it can only be held for the duration of a short story. I also want to meet some real characters. The characters in these stories never had a chance to develop. That’s one of the points against short stories, in my opinion. I don’t get a chance to know and become emotionally invested in the characters. There was a lot of Manic Pixie Dream Girl throughout this collection. I think in a longer book we’d get to see a lot more character development and meet some real people.

When I finished the stories I felt let down and a little disappointed. It was like I had been expecting more of a pay off or reward for reading the story. This comes from my expectation that short stories need to have a ‘point’ to make, I suppose. I wanted the stories to keep on going though, I was enjoying reading them and I wanted to stay in that story longer, keep exploring that universe and learn more about those characters. The stories were over too soon and I didn’t get a nice little take home package from them. So while I really liked them while I was reading them, upon finishing each story that feeling was soured a little bit.

My favourite story from the collection? A tie between “Travels with the Snow Queen” and “Vanishing Act”.

3.5 out of 5 disappearing cousins for this neat little package.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 Read Harder Challenge

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle