Review: The Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Part two of the Kingkiller Chronicles continued Kvothe’s story. We see him move beyond the university and into the broader world, learn new skills and meet new people.

I still enjoyed the second novel in the series, but it lacked something that the first had. This time round I found it irritating that Kvothe was so good at everything he turned his hand to. Be it composing songs, combat or love making, he was able to master the skill in an exceptionally short amount of time. It’s starts to rub after a while. No one can be that good at everything.

There wasn’t as much advancement in Kvothe’s the elder’s story as I would have liked, but it still moved toward telling us more about the Chandrian, which is now the main plot line that is pulling me into this series.

Overall I found myself getting irritated at Kvothe’s perfection, especially given that he’s only 16 years old during these events. It’s certainly asking us to believe a lot that someone so young can have such a mature outlook, particularly regarding his relationship with Denna.

It was still a great book though, and I enjoyed the advances that story made. When I started this series I didn’t know that the third book was yet to be released. I don’t normally start a series until the whole thing is finished. By the time the next book is out, I will need to reread the first two to remind myself of all the smaller details that I may have forgotten. It also leaves me in distress having a story unfinished!

My hopes are up that the third instalment answers all my questions and takes us the rest of the journey from young to old Kvothe.

3 out of 5 swooningly romantic love songs.

Have you read The Wise Man’s Fear? Leave me a comment and let me know what you thought!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 Read Harder Challenge

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle